For many first time moms, it’s normal to think that things will “come naturally” when they start nursing their little ones and that they’ll wing it until their babies latch properly.
However, the reality is different. As much as the baby will latch well over time, the real challenge comes in trying to position yourself and your baby so that he or she is happy and you don’t end up with tingling or numb arms and a sore back.
It’s a lot harder to find a comfortable position when nursing your little one. Much of it is trial and error until you get both of you to a comfortable position during feedings.
This is where a nursing pillow comes handy. It helps you find the best position you can live with while breastfeeding because it’s not just a simple plug and play kind of thing. You’re both going to take some time to adjust.
For plus size women, it can be more difficult trying to figure out the best nursing pillow that’ll ensure the proportions of your torso, breast size, and length of your baby are in check for increased comfort.
We’re going to help you find the best nursing pillow for plus size women and give you a guide as to what to look for when shopping for the ideal one that best suits your needs.
Best Nursing Pillow For Plus Size Women
This large Boppy pillow is a plus size mom’s favorite. It’s a redesign of the Boppy Best Latch pillow and it’s size-friendly too.
As an extra-large nursing pillow, it comes with an adjustable and removable belt of up to 52 inches that keeps the pillow in place, though you won’t necessarily need this.
Plus, its reversible design has two distinct surfaces: soft on one side with fiberfill and a cotton blend fabric for a more snugly surface as the baby grows, and the firm side has a premium textured knit contoured fabric to help you turn the baby towards you for easier latching.
You can pick the side that works for your nursing needs and comfort.
The pillow is developed with a lactation consultant and designed specifically for nursing moms for your breastfeeding success.
It’s machine washable but you’ll need to remove the belt and foam insert before tossing the entire pillow in the washing machine.
You can use it with babies from 0-12 months or up to 22 lbs.
- Soft fabric is good for sensitive baby skin
- Helps baby enjoy tummy time
- No back support
- Rounded top can cause the baby to turn or roll inward while feeding
This nursing pillow for plus size women is popular because it offers back support.
The plus-size option is the “twin” pillow, which comes with helpful places where you can store a water bottle, your cell phone, nipple cream, and other items.
It’s designed with 100 percent cotton, and its wrap-around design ensures mom and baby feel secure and comfortable.
The design also adjusts to fit most sizes while promoting proper posture and alleviating back, shoulder, neck, and arm pain.
The pillow is designed from years of research and real-life testing so that mom and baby enjoy nursing time together.
Its unique shape fits snuggly against the wearer thus eliminating the gap that most crescent-shaped nursing pillows come in.
Plus, the clever silent-release straps allow you to slip away quietly when your little one sleeps and unlatches without waking him or her up.
Moms will find this an intuitive and useful maternity product for the best comfort and convenience during nursing.
- Address new mom nursing pain points
- Keeps baby in place and at the right height for nursing
- Flat surface keeps baby in position without rolling or turning inward
- Wrap-around design and latch secure pillow to mom’s body
- Maintains good posture through the backrest during nursing
- Elbow and armrests maintain good posture
- Storage pocket keeps handy items close by including water bottle, phone, burp cloth, and more
- Comes in multiple print options to choose from
- Difficult to put on with one hand
- Cover can be hard to get on and off to wash/may fade after washing
- May not be good for larger/older babies
This pillow is designed to fit moms of different sizes all the way to a size 24/26, or even more depending on the distribution of your weight.
The ergonomic curve design ensures you and baby are close to each other and still remains firm during nursing.
It’s developed with lactation experts and many nursing moms in order to address the main nursing concerns for moms including arm support, latch, comfort, and back pain.
Its unique contour positions your baby next to you for comfortable nursing support, and to provide an armrest, it wraps snug around your waist.
Your baby is placed at a comfortable position and height to reduce back pain from too much slouching, while your baby’s head rests just above your tummy, which helps promote better digestion.
A handle is available for easy maneuvering and carrying, plus its firm foam resists moisture absorption and keeps the shape intact regardless of the number of feeds for continued support.
The interior lining also offers extra protection against any spills, while the baby stays comfortable in the plush pillow cover, which is machine washable and removable.
- Contour design supports during feeding
- High-quality foam doesn’t distort or absorb moisture
- Useful for tummy time or aiding with early sitting
- Downward slant may roll baby inwards
- May be wide and stiff for chairs with fixed armrests
- Isn’t ideal for newborns as foam may be hard
This nursing pillow for plus size women was designed by a speech-language pathologist who is specialized in training on feeding issues.
The plush and pliable pillow can fit plus size women and moms of all sizes with support for the baby offered while nursing.
Its unique V-shape creates the ideal positioning for moms to bring their babies up to the breast level, making it easier for the little ones to latch.
Its extended size and shape also supports the shoulders and elbows to alleviate back discomfort while ensuring the nurturing and relaxing bond between mom and baby is achieved.
When used the right way, the pillow positions and supports the baby to avoid ear infections, reflux, and choking.
Long after your nursing journey ends, the pillow can be used for family snuggles too.
It’s shaped more like a boomerang and has no back end with fastening, which also makes it ideal for women who’ve had C-sections as it doesn’t sit closely to their bodies to irritate the incision area.
The soft fabric ensures both mom and baby enjoy nursing time, and it’s safer than other pillows as it doesn’t have flame retardant chemicals, so your baby’s delicate skin is protected.
- Slipcover is easy to remove and put back on
- Pillow is large enough for plus size women
- It’s also decorative and matches your décor like a regular cushion
- Not good for travel owing to its large size
- Pricier than other such pillows
- The cotton used on this pillow isn’t organic
This nursing pillow comes with a super soft slipcover that stays soft even after multiple rounds of washing.
It offers room for your elbow and arm to rest while nursing, thus eliminating fatigue in your shoulder muscles after holding the baby for longer periods of time.
It wraps around you and stays put thanks to the latch and fastening strap, plus you get added support when you need it thanks to its backrest.
The strap can be adjusted to secure the pillow using Velcro, which means you can adjust with one hand around your body.
You don’t have to worry about the baby taking it off when you don’t want him or her to, and you get a storage pocket to stick things in like a book, water bottle or snack and more.
It also makes for a good lap pillow for using your laptop or reading.
- Addresses many new moms’ nursing pain points
- Keeps baby at the right height while nursing
- Flat surface keeps baby from rolling or turning inward
- Wrap-around design with a latch secures it to your body for optimal nursing position
- Backrest helps you maintain good back posture
- Elbow and armrests reduce shoulder stress
- Storage pocket keeps your items at hand including water bottle, phone, burp cloth, etc.
- Easy to put with one arm
- Soft and fuzzy cloth
- Could do better with back support
This nursing pillow is specifically designed for plus size moms and can fit sizes 10-28.
It offers fully integrated back support, which is essential for mothers for super comfy feeding, and it’s also great for tummy time.
It’s a spin-off from the Twin Z nursing pillow after moms requested for a pillow designed for one baby instead of twins.
The four-in-one pillow makes feeding the baby comfortable and is multifunctional for play, support, tummy time, and feeding all at once.
The material is waterproof so you don’t need a cover but if you really want you can get one.
The pillow is made in the US with baby-safe materials and has no chemicals or flame retardants.
- Baby safe
- Waterproof material
- Comfortable for back support while nursing
- Multifunctional for play, tummy time, feeding, and nursing
This pillow is designed to encourage better posture while nursing to alleviate the strain on your neck, back, and arms.
It also has a large design that’s big enough to support tandem nursing if you have twins, plus it’s dust-free, anti-reflective, and scratch proof.
A convenient pocket or handy pouch is available where you can store your maternity supplies for easy reach such as nipple cream, water bottle, phone, and more.
Its wrap-around design can adjust easily to fit plus size women and other sizes and surrounds your body securely for the optimal position while nursing.
This gives you the best support for yourself and your baby too.
It’s one of the top choices of nursing pillows recommended by lactation consultants and birthing hospitals.
- Innovative shape keeps baby close and fits snug against mom
- Designed with nursing moms in mind
- Storage pouch keeps maternity accessories and supplies within easy reach
- The wrap-around design supports your sore shoulders and weary back
- Supportive backrest encourages good posture while nursing and prevents shoulder and neck strain
- Minimizes elbow and wrist strain so you can focus on your baby
- Silent-release straps allow you to slip away quietly when the baby is asleep
This versatile pillow by JJ Cole is ideal for nursing and bottle-feeding.
Not only does it look good but it also feels great and is friendly for both mom and dad, and also for your baby.
The modern-looking design offers a comfortable and relaxed experience for baby, while feeding and its contoured design is ideal for moms of different sizes including those who underwent C-section.
Its material is made with 100 percent polyurethane foam and 100 percent cotton, which is machine washable and removable for easy care.
Plus, the pillow is lightweight and compact enough to fit in rockers and chairs, and the firm support lifts your baby so you can eliminate back and neck strain while nursing.
An easy-carry handle is available for feeding on the go.
- Easy carry handle
- Lightweight pillow
- Fits rockers and chairs
- Compact contoured design makes for a good fit
- Portable on the go
- Comfort for mother and baby while nursing
- Thickness is handy as an armrest and for good posture
- The cover fabric isn’t pre-shrunk, which can be troublesome if you have no time to hang dry it
- Frontal design can be a deal-breaker because it lacks specific back support
Plus-size women often complain that the standard nursing pillows hardly work for them as they have small openings.
With Dr. Brown’s Gia nursing pillow though, this is different because it’s taller and wider, giving plus-size women all the space they need.
Its shape is like that of a shrimp, with one lower end of the pillow and another to position your baby at the natural nursing slope.
It doesn’t come with a cover though you won’t necessarily need one, but if you must, you can buy one separately.
The cover and the cushion are both machine washable too.
The pillow gives a whole new angle in nursing pillows and its patented angle design positions your little one at an incline, which helps prevent reflux while aiding digestion.
It also gives more ways of positioning the pillow for maximum comfort.
Its cover and the pillow itself are made of 100 percent cotton and 100 percent polyester fill with soft stitched fabric so the baby’s skin is catered for during nursing.
- Unique shape
- Perfect for plus size women
- Machine washable
- Lots of position options
- Created by a lactation consultant
- Helps prop up baby in different positions
- Large and bulky
- Too firm for baby (newborns)
- Empty space between pillow and mom that baby can turn or roll inward You have to flip the pillow to switch sides while nursing
If you want a nursing pillow that adjusts the elevation levels based on your needs, this Infantino Elevate Adjustable nursing pillow may be just what you need.
It comes with several elevation levels for better support during nursing.
You can elevate your baby to an optimal position for latching that works for the two of you.
You get three different elevation positions: neutral, moderate, and maximum, all of which help your baby, especially those with acid reflux or GERD.
It also has a hold so you can nurse baby comfortably and you can select the hold you want from an angled or upright, football or clutch, or the cradle and cross holds.
Its wide curve allows plus size women and women of all sizes to use the pillow.
Plus, you can machine wash it and when you’re on the go, just fold and tie it up with a ribbon to store and travel.
- Elevates baby to different heights
- Different holds available for nursing
- Machine washable
- Center portion tends to pop out so you can flush your body
- It’s small and short
- It slides and the baby can slip
Buyer’s Guide: What To Look For In A Nursing Pillow For Plus Size Women
The nursing pillow you’re looking for should fit comfortably, especially for wrap-around pillows, so it doesn’t press against your back uncomfortably during nursing.
When using the pillow for nursing, it should be an ideal height so that your baby can latch properly.
Too low or too high and nursing will be uncomfortable for both of you. find the right zone on your midsection that’s optimal for nursing time.
Ease of cleaning
The nursing pillow needs a good washing, especially with the sweat, oils, and baby’s spit-up sometimes spilling milk onto the pillow.
If there’s a cover, you can remove it and wash it in the machine, it’ll be tricky. Some pillows are also washable in a machine, so check for these when shopping.
There are different sizes and shapes of nursing pillows to help you with your feeding and support issues while nursing. These include:
- Boppy style: It’s common and popular and takes a C-shape like a travel pillow. It’s perfectly shaped to help your baby when nursing or when learning to sit on his or her own. It’s multi-purpose and flexible.
- Flat/shelf style: This pillow is stiffer and fastens around you firmly. It’s large, stable and offers a backrest, plus it won’t shift around or go flat as you feed your baby. It stays intact.
- Other types of shapes: some nursing pillows are shaped like a shrimp, the number 3 for twins, a large rectangle for reshaping based on your needs, or extra-large with a boomerang shape that works for moms who have had C-sections.
Nursing pillows can be used for nursing purposes but also to offer support to your back, arms, and neck to avoid strain and pressure during feeding.
You can also use it to train the baby to learn how to sit up when he or she is ready, and sometimes just relax and allow the baby to sleep a bit while you regain your strength.
If you’re on the go or travel a lot, a good nursing pillow should allow you to pack and go.
Check for one that is easy to fold up and store into a pack and travel along with it.
The firm and hard type may not be easy to fold up and pack away, but they’re helpful when it comes to supporting you and your baby during nursing.
Do you need a nursing pillow?
For new moms, nursing pillows are a godsend because it’s harder to get by without one especially if you’re not used to the process.
For those who can get by without one, it doesn’t mean you can’t do without it completely regardless of the number of babies you’ve had.
However, if you have the extra money to buy one, it’s a great purchase to make because it supports your back and body as you hold your baby, and is helpful while the baby is still small.
As the baby grows, you can always ditch the pillow and hold the baby comfortably in your arms.
As you consider the best nursing pillow for plus size women, any of the above options can come in handy for you depending on your needs.
Be sure to pick one that checks all the boxes based on your fit, size, the positions it offers for nursing, ease of cleaning, affordability, and support.