Sciatica is a term associated with symptoms that go down the lower back through the sciatic nerve at the back of the leg.
Among these symptoms, all of which are indicators of an underlying medical condition, include:
- Constant pain on one side of the leg and/or buttock
- Pain that intensifies when sitting
- Leg pain characterized by a burning, tingling or searing sensation
- Weakness and numbness that causes difficulty in moving the leg, foot or even the toes
- Sharp pain that makes it hard to walk or stand
- Pain that radiates to the leg, foot or toes
Usually, the pain from sciatica can vary from infrequent and irritating, to nagging and incapacitating, and is usually centered on the pinched nerve – sciatic nerve – which is the largest single nerve in the body with individual roots that branch out from the spine at the lower back and combine to form the sciatic nerve.
Thankfully, there are ways to manage and/or treat sciatica, one of which is by using sciatica pillows.
If sciatica is robbing you of a good night’s sleep, here are the best 10 sciatica pillows to relieve the pain and help get you sufficient sleep.
10 Best Sciatica Pillows And Cushions For Pain Relief
This pillow not only helps relieve sciatica pain at night, but also back and hip pain. Its unique features that promote pain relief include:
- Ergonomic contoured design keeps your legs, hip and spine in ideal alignment while sleeping and improves circulation
- Premium high density, 100 percent durable cut memory foam made for lasting comfort – it won’t go flat
- Breathable zippered cover ensures the pillow does not get warm and is machine washable for easy cleaning
- It is durable, portable and easy to clean
- Recommended by chiropractors and physical therapists
Note: Always consult your physician before using this product for specific health conditions.
This pillow is designed not just for sciatica issues, but also for leg casts, post trauma and surgical procedures, knee and leg injuries and ACL tears. Its features include:
- Durable superior foam that won’t lose shape
- Good elevation and angles for optimal healing position for legs and knee joints
- Made from supple polyurethane foam with a sculpted leg channel and 45° angled thigh ramp.
- Removable, machine-washable velour cover for easy care and maintenance
- Ultra-soft cover for added comfort
The name may not be easy to remember or pronounce, but this sciatica pillow is one of the best you can get for relief from pain and support for your legs and spine. Its features include:
- High quality-memory foam pillow made with premium quality, 100 percent memory foam to provide long lasting comfort for hours, and won’t flatten over time
- Convenient zippered cover, allows for easy removal of the machine-washable cover
4. PharMeDoc Memory Foam Knee Pillow – Orthopedic Knee Wedge Pillow
Falling asleep with the wrong pillow, especially when you’re experiencing sciatica, can not only be uncomfortable but also painful. With this sciatica pillow, you’ll get all the support you need with features such as:
- Firm memory foam that elevates legs and opens hips while maintaining shape over time.
- Ergonomic design to align your spine and improve posture.
- Breathable material encourages airflow to prevent overheating
- 100 percent cotton wedge pillow cover makes cleanup easy and remains plush after 400+ washes
Lifetime Manufacturer Warranty
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
- Hypoallergenic foam that is dust mite resistant
- No Phthalates or Latex, and it is BPA-free
This pillow helps you relax your legs and rest your feet comfortably after a long day, tiring work, or even long travel to ease the pain. Its features include:
- Inflatable, portable and lightweight, so you can even store it in a small space when not in use or carry it around
- Humanized and scientific design with two nozzles in one plug. A big nozzle for express inflation, which only takes about a minute or so to blow it up, and quickly unfold for easy assembly and collapse flat, to pack away when not in use
- High quality soft PVC flocking material that is environmental friendly without any toxic substances
If you want better spine alignment and reduced stress from sciatica, then this pillow by Abco Tech is your best bet. Its features include:
- Hypoallergenic material with an easily removable and washable pillow cover for easy hygiene
- Superior quality from its 100% visco-elastic memory foam, which is soft enough to feel natural and comfortable, yet stiff enough to provide the required uplifting of your upper knee to help achieve the required alignment
100 percent risk-free satisfaction guarantee
- A carrying case is included for convenience so you can take along the knee pillow wherever you go.
This pillow is your perfect companion wherever you go, whether it’s a long trip on a plane or by road, at home, and anywhere you need it to be. Besides being lightweight and portable, it also features:
- PVC flocking fabric without any unpleasant smell, and it is washable, healthy and hygienic
- Easy to carry as it can be compressed to small size and occupies less space
- Package includes a small pouch to carry the pillow, and a washable bottom dust cover
This is a multi-position pillow which you can fold and place between your legs as you sleep, or use it to elevate your feet, knees and calves. You can also open it up and use under your legs for extra support. Its features
- High-quality antibacterial memory foam materials to better mold to the shape of your body
- Zip cover – the pillow has a navy blue super soft plush washable cover with a zip-fastener for an easy maintenance of the pillow
- Eco-friendly: this body cushion holds the CertiPUR US certificate for safe foam materials, environmentally-friendly and high-performance. It’s free from harmful chemicals, with less than 0.5 parts/million voc emission
Note: New foam products often have a natural and harmless scent or smell, please air out before use; the odor should dissipate within 72 hours upon unpacking the pillow.
The first thing you notice about this sciatica pillow is its contoured shape and fabric, but it has other features that help relieve pain, including:
- Made of soft velour fabric that is machine-washable and filled with hypoallergenic polyester (65% polyester/35% cotton)
- Zipper access for customizing your level of support
- Trademarked shape to align head and neck with much support
- Side handles for ease of placement and transport
- A trademarked design great for traveling, medical, camping, sleeping, reclining, nursing homes, and lumbar support.
This lab-designed sciatica pillow delivers unparalleled quality and comfort with features that include:
- 100 percent extra dense premium memory foam
- Two-tone white/grey ultra-comfortable cover that’s easy to care and clean, and is resistant to dirtying
- Large zippered opening for easy removal and cleaning of cloth
While these pillows are great for increasing comfort, minimizing pressure points and increasing circulation, they certainly don’t provide a permanent solution. This means you shouldn’t get one in the hope of finding a cure, but as a pain reliever and something that provides comfort to you.
Diana Paul is a certified nutritionist who writes for leading health blogs. She is a master herbalist, yoga teacher, forager, and wild-crafting writer She is focused on helping people transform life blocks to opportunities. Based in NYC, she often holds health seminars and lectures.